So I’m sitting here with these two on a Saturday morning, one week into the new world order of sheltering in place. The house is still quiet, as I am the only one awake yet.
I can’t help but think about what the world is going through right now and how vulnerable we as a society are. Our lives have been completely upended and we have no idea when we will return to any sense of normalcy.
As I look back, as recently as two weeks ago, but what now seems like a six months ago, I just want to list some of the things I now desperately miss.
- Carpool – my children start online school on Monday and will probably continue this way for the rest of the school year. The only upside I can see from this is that I no longer have to worry when I drop them off at school if it could be the last time I see them due to a school shooting. I loved afternoon carpool. It was a nice break and I got to read for 30 minutes before the madness began.
- Lattes – I am a coffee addict, and much like my favorite foods, my lattes always taste better when someone else makes them. I don’t go to Starbucks for a number of reasons, but I desperately miss the two independent coffee shops I went to. One day, hopefully sooner rather than later, I will go to Ascension Annex or Turbo and have a latte again.
- Eating out – I hate to cook. I’m not good at it, my family complains often about what I make, so eating out was a treat. That’s gone now, as are so many jobs for restaurant and bar employees.
- Grocery Shopping – I actually use to complain about having to go to the store multiple times a week. I feel like such a fool now. If I even dare to go to the store now, I literally feel like I’m taking my life in my own hands, because I probably am. The store workers don’t have the luxury of staying home and ordering delivery. They are out there every day and deserve to be paid far more than they get presently.
- Team Practices – Oh how I use to complain about this one. The multiple practices a week I had to take my child to and sit there for two hours, not to mention the 20 minutes we had between getting home from school and having to leave the house. If we ever get the chance to be that busy again, I promise I won’t complain about it!
- The Gym – this was one of the few things that kept me sane and now it’s closed indefinitely. Oh how I loved walking or running on the treadmill while watching HGTV. What a gift it was to have all that equipment at my disposal. Now I have to work out at home and it is not going well.
- Running errands – Just being able to run out and get whatever you wanted or needed at a moments notice. Those days are gone for now. Stores are closed, shelves are bare and people are without jobs, so I know I have it good, but damn it sucks.
- A healthy 401-K – I don’t even look anymore. It’s too depressing.
- Wearing makeup – Why bother. No one really sees me. At least I still shower and get dressed, but it’s sometimes not before 11:00 am.
- Hugging people – Social distancing sucks even though I am an introvert.
- Being alone – with my husband working from home and my children at home, there is no more alone time, except when I’m sleeping. At least we all appear healthy for now and still have a roof over our heads.
Take care and stay well!